Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Suburbs

Sometimes I catch myself walking through the avenues 
of my heart and surprise myself to find you are on every single sign.
Every street name is a part of you, a song, a memory, 
a something.

I think for a moment.
My teeth chew lightly on my lip 
as they always have.

I never knew so many nothings
could be so many somethings to me. 

Then I remember.

You set me on fire.
Peeling back the layers,
undressing the logic within me, 
I willingly let you waltz into my heart and steal it entirely.

I guess I never knew loving you-- 
wishing all these nothings could go on forever--
could mean so much to me. 

But I'm losing it!
Why do you mean so much to me?
I can't explain a thing about it. 
But I know someday I will. 

One day when the moon is brighter
and the nights are warmer
and perhaps you are there

I will tell you everything.

Every word of it. 
Every kiss. 
Every touch. 
Every sleepless night dreaming about you, 
it will all be revealed.

I love you. 

I don't want to, and I hate that I can't stand loving you, but I think it's because I know we're not good for each other. 
We're trapped in a daydream we can't escape from. 
The avenues;
the subways;
the bridges;
the wakeless suburbs of each other wind like
rivers and labyrinths within my silly heart,
going on forever. 

-k.p.b.
2/17/16