Sunday, February 14, 2016

"sometimes I steal them to have a secret to keep."

I wear my watch 
to see my demons disappear.

It ticks incessantly 
reminding
me that this whirring within my 
chest 
right at the center of me
is real.

This life is real, too. 
Like stolen glances at 
withering sunsets and
long strolls beneath banking moonlight, 
we live for 
the moments
we often forget because they happen in an 
instant. 

I don't want to leave
this life with nothing 
but a broken watch 
screaming 
at me
yelling through my hair into my ear
that this life
is almost nothing, 
almost over, 
almost forgotten, 
almost fraudulent, 
almost anything 
but real. 

There is something more terrifying than dancing devils
in abandoned places 
and it begins with the word, 
'almost'. 

He almost chased her. 
She almost kept him. 
He almost found a way.
She almost loved him.
They almost made it. 

As I'm often told 
in the warm darkness of night from no one 
but myself,
"We live for love
or we do not live a life worth living 
at all."

And I think 
that is what my watch has been saying all along, 
that being lonely is almost as inspiring as being loved
and that is what the ticking is for--
reminding. 

Remembering. 

Finally, understanding. 

-k.p.b.

(To my "heart")

2/14/16
Sunday Afternoon
4:28PM