Sunday, January 5, 2014

Wrote This Letter Today...


Dear Future Planner of Powder Puff,
The first thing I did when planning Powder Puff was stress. That was the worst mistake I could’ve made. I stressed about deadlines. I stressed about budgeting. I even stressed about playing in the actual game. But then, something hit me. I learned something in the middle  of my planning that changed my thinking completely. But something you must learn and you will learn after planning your first event by yourself, is that stress brings you NO WHERE and is COMPLETELY avoidable. I know as teenagers, we often procrastinate and put things off to the last minute, but if you want real advice: JUST DON’T DO THAT!
A true leader is someone who acts responsibly in order to be treated respectably. If you truly acquire to become a true leader, you must act as one. Learn to give yourself room to make mistakes, but never let them slip your fingers and out the door! Learn from your mistakes and failures! Use them to your advantage! Without them, they are pointless--a waste of your time and life. I was once told that if I wanted to be a true leader than I had to learn to take criticism and use it to my advantage. Though I agree that works to some degree, I found that the best formula to making a true leader was not negative slashes in your armor, but polish and remedy to it. What I’m really trying to say is, positivity works wonders on yourself. If you replaced every cutting criticism or negative thought that anyone ever gave you, and instead replaced it with a positive thought, you could do anything.
I know what you are thinking, cliché, right? WRONG. A little seed in the cold earth doesn’t grow from thorns and weeds does it? It grows from warmth and sunlight. It requires nurture and care, not crushing and bruising. If you step on a flower and then tell it to grow, will it? No, I’ll tell you it won’t. So don’t ever be hard on yourself, only push yourself. Tell yourself you can and you will.  I know what it is like to fail. Everyone does. But if I only reflected on what I did wrong, I would never be able to see and grow from the things I did right! Always be positive and remember to keep growing and excelling! You are on Student Council for a reason. You wear that jacket because others look up to, right? So don’t spend another day worrying what could go wrong and only be excited about what could go right!
Never put that sweater to shame.
Now go out there and strut your stuff!


Sincerely,


Kiersten P. Benson

{2013-2014 Art Director}