Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Lion and the Roar


October 31, 2013
5:58PM
Thursday

I felt him coming. 
His rhythmic breathing echoed in my head. 
I tried to call out--but my voice was drifting away. 
"Stay back!" I tried to say, but it never came out. 
I felt so helpless and pathetic.
The moment of my deepest fear was approaching and there was nothing I could do about it.
Not one thing. 
And then, suddenly he was already here--right in-front of my shaking eyes. 
His golden sunset eyes bore into mine, devouring every inch of me. 
The cold breaths from a long run were slapping against my cheeks and nose, but I paid no mind to it. 
The only thing soaring through my head right now were questions and escape routes. 
Through my flowing blood I felt the weight of fear pumping through it, until the coldness overbore me. 
After an endless moment of heavy breathing, it finally ceased to a quiet, slumberous purr. 
I was surprise to find I wasn't shaking anymore, but peacefully sat their in calm anticipation for what this beast was planning to do with me. 
But this beast gave no room for ferreting his deep and cavernous plans. 
This beast could very well kill me on the very grave of my fading redemption. 
He could slaughter all my memories; devour every dream I ever had; and pilfer anything else that was vulnerable within me. 
But he didn't. 
He merely stared into my eyes and let his breaths rise and fall against mine. 
Then it was my turn to scrutinize his face--from his wispy whiskers tickling the pillows of my cheeks, to his thick, cascading main falling in golden-yellow tufts. 
It wasn't then that I felt brave--not just yet. 
No, the emotions coursing through my veins were anything but brave right now.
But then he did something that made me find my courage. 
He looked me in the eyes and then--He roared. 
And without warning too. 
And as his thunderous roar reached the limit of the sky, I roared too. 
I roared until I felt braver than this beast--this monster. 
And this monster I speak of, was not he golden Lion roaring to my right. 
No. 
This monster was the one inside of me, the one that died the moment I bellowed my roar louder than that Lion.
And louder than my fear. 

(k.b)