Thursday, July 28, 2016

Mouth of Babes

A little girl with tight braids and a messy smattering of bangs across her forehead comes running up to him with a look of sincere contemplation on her face.
She looks at me then back at him and smiles widely, definite mischief tugging at the corner of those little lips.
She then squeaks excitedly, "Is she your girlfriend?" and giggles like a lunatic--or rather a little kid drunk off of too much soda.
Without a moments hesitation and without a glance at me, he replies simply, "Yes she is."
My eyes flicker to him quickly and away from the curious accuser. Did those words truly come out of his mouth? I wonder. My heart raced as he said it and I'm probably captured with a look of awestruck on my face. It was so strange to hear those words out loud, alive in reality.
The braided beauty looks at him deeper and squeaks even louder, "Is she REALLY?"
He laughs for a moment and smiles. "No, not really."
My heart sighs and lifts all at once.
Little does he know how much I want those words to be true, the former I mean. How I want to see that look of mischief on his face one more time before I tell him I love him too.
What a precipice I know we're on and someday soon, if we're not careful, one of us will fall and hopefully if I'm lucky enough--though luck really as nothing to do with it--I'll fall into him or he into I and all will be there.
The stark truth and all.
"I love you too." I'll say. And he'll say it too.

// written for a night of fire and food and happy people ; for good company and an itch to inch closer to someone who makes my heart race just by looking at me and my heart melt just by living and laughing and existing. Ha. For foolish dreams and a silly proclivity for falling in love with you. Truly.
7|27|2016
Vic, Bridger, and I surrounded by a bonfire and a wonderful family.
Thank you always dear friends.