Friday, April 1, 2016

my dad: a better man than most

we talked in the car
dad and I
driving in the dark
talked about our dreams while we ate simple american food
like waffle fries
and ketchup.

I listened to the way he talked about Europe
about mountains and Himalayans
and food.

we talked simply
but happily,
laughing together often
and smiling much.

it was wonderful.

talk of countryside Italy, France, Germany, Switzerland, England (in that order)
I, of course, of old cathedrals
and musuems
of art and history
and suddenly he talks about all the museums he went to on his free day in Sweden
of the countless old churches
he sat in
at least five hundred years old.
Finland, Denmark, Norway. he's been there.

incredible.

I could be trapped in that moment forever
and be happy.

dad and I talking
like nothing else mattered
like I didn't have to take a test when I got home
or go to sleep like normal people
or push a boy from my mind.
like there would never be a day
he wasn't there for me
driving in the dark
talking about the life we might never get to see together,
always alive in that moment (a calm light quivering over the calm of his face from the passing cars in the dark)

just us two.
forever.

isn't that the idea of heaven anyway?