Tuesday, January 26, 2016

gentle - j.d.

I had a dream of you
once
stopping me within a fluid 
crowd 
trying to drown me
with their intoxicating music

you 
paused
perfectly,
stopping below a whisper
below the atmosphere
below anything that 
taints a broken heart

and you grasped my hand
gently
a gentle breeze pushing against 
the catacombs of my soul

you reached below the unabashed 
exiled corners of myself
most people avoid

most people fear 
for they cannot 
push their eyes into
or sculpt with their foolish hands
or drag their famished tongues 
across it

but not you

you unearthed something
when you pushed 
your soft 
gentle
innocent hand
on mine

you melted
the morning sun within me
and 
there is little sorrow
when I whisper
--and I hardly 
whisper for just anybody--
"I am not sad anymore,

seven days I 
wept for you

a week of pure torture
I first thought

seven days I
left my books
forgot the music

 and 
didn't dance. 

seven days
I wept 
over my dying Atlas
knowing that if I must die 
inside
one thing ought
to live
from my sadness."

then my whisper shattered 
spitting into a
spark
a fire of a shout

(perhaps lying about 
the sadness I did not feel):

"did you stand there
all alone?

did you cry 
for me 
in your smallest moment 
of pity?

do you  
taste 
the pang of 
bitterness
exceeding mortal thought
devouring a mortal heartbeat that exhales
like a sad
frowning accordion?

did you have to wait
'til sunrise
to make your 
decision
about loving me?"

and to myself:
did you find it?

but it wasn't until
that blinding sun was shepherded 
into its own soul asylum 

that I forgot how 
happy one can be
in the shadow of a natural 
satellite

or
slow dancing in a burning room
forever.

-k.p.b. 

Jan. 26. 2016
Tuesday
12:35PM