Monday, May 19, 2014

My Encyclopedia



The Encylopedia of an Eclectic Mind
By:   Kiersten  P.  Benson


A HUMAN
Upon challenging the ongoing current of life I have found humans to be very strong creatures--much stronger than they let on.

SKINNY LOVE
I have discovered I blush easier than I care to admit and
the only kind of  love I come close to are stolen glances and hopeful smiles.

BEAUTIFUL

Beautiful is an artist in the zone; when you can see the concentration coursing through them so fiercely they don’t dare move and they hardly even breathe for fear of losing that precious moment. They forget all thoughts of time and place and just live in that moment and bask in all its wholeness. That is beautiful.



A List of Nice Sounds:
What My Childhood Tasted Like:
-- turning book pages
-- keys of a typewriter
-- skate blades on ice
-- sleepy voices
-- a crackling fire
-- quiet rain drops
-- hearing a smile in someone’s voice
-- rustling trees
-- laughter
-- summer cricket symphonies
-- Christmas bells
-- far away thunder
-- splashes in the pool
-- drowsy breathing
-- Autumn leaves crunching
-- ocean waves
-- dreams forming

Creamies
I always loved the notes on the stick.
Chicken Pillows
The highlight of my birthday dinners.
Bubble Gum
Preferably eaten when I’m trapped indoors from a storm.
Snow Cones
No matter how far I had to walk to get one...it was always worth it.
Taco Soup
A Christmas
party specialty.
Plain Peanut-Butter Sandwiches
Never was a big fan of jelly...


NOSTALGIA
But in the middle of my happiness I realized
that all those nostalgic moments from my past were no longer there
that the little girl who once loved to dream
and dance
and release her wild imagination
no longer existed.
The little girl who spent too much time in the sun
The little girl who chased dragons
and hunted fairies
and the little girl who fiercely imagined things she knew in her heart to be real
was no longer real.
No longer alive.
And there was nothing I could do to change that
no matter how much I wanted to.


THE “SQUABBLE”
You know that awkward moment when you are walking out the door and someone decides to walk in just as you are walking out and you both try  to go your separate ways the
same way? And then you end up awkwardly shuffling around each other?  I’ve decided the only way to avoid that is to create a universal law where everyone must stay to the right side of every doorway when walking in or out and then we won’t ever have to deal with the horrendous “squabble” ever again.

HOME
The difference between a real printed book and a digital book is substantial. Could you ever forget the tear stains, food stains, or fingerprints unintentionally left inside a real book? What about the beautiful flowers that you pressed between the scratchy paper or the inky annotations provoked by the very words that inspired you? Or the accidental drips and crumbs left from attempting to read and nourish yourself at the same time? And above all, could you ever forget the trembling, clenching, or caressing of your fingers as you finally turned the last past you were longing to turn since the very moment you picked up that book? No, I daresay you can’t. It is my pensive opinion that a library stuffed with beautiful books bursting off the shelves with which you can clutch, caress and stroke at will, will always be more impressive than an electronic screen with only the capacity to scroll and keep scrolling.



My Life in a Timeline:

1997
     
March: I came bearing gifts; small gifts like: dimples, protuberant blue eyes,
my sister, and two feet eager to explore (I began walking at eight months).

2002
     
September: My first day of school and also the first time I realize-- I am an artist.

2005
     
June: I meet my childhood best friend and she awakens my
undying love for Harry Potter. I will always be thankful.

2008
    
August: The biggest pain-in-the-butt joins our family--his name is Nimbus
(like a Nimbus cloud) and he is the dumbest
and no doubt the weirdest dog you will ever meet.

2011
     
July: The last Harry Potter movie is released and I cried because I missed the premiere. And I also move from Mapleton (where I lived all my life) to Eagle Mountain and find out I am going to Westlake High School in the following month. (Talk about frightening.)

2012
       
Summer: This year is a crazy blur of fun, fires, memories, and new best friends.


2013
     
Three of my siblings leave on LDS missions and leave my house devastating empty, but I get my very own room for the first time in my life! I love it and it is sufficient to say that it is apart of my identity. Every square inch of it is covered in artwork, posters, quotes, comic book clippings and happiness. It is where I spend most of my time!

2014
       
I have to let go of the noxious things in my life--no matter how hard it is and I must move on. A new chapter has begun, life is good, I am still young, I am 17 years old (an official full-wizard!)  but I still haven’t figured out the whole “driving” thing...(maybe someday.)