Thursday, August 7, 2014

"WINGS"

August 7, 2014
Thursday
1:03PM

"Wings"

"Here we go," He whispered. 
But, I didn't want to do it. 
Here we stood, rooted to a cathedral
more regal than the sky. 
Here we stood, staring at the apostles
hoping they could stop us,
snatch our broken spirits and
make us whole.
Or perhaps the wind could stop us, 
breathe us away to another time, 
a better time than where we existed now.
Make the world forget us.
But it wouldn't.
The lights go down, 
I just want to be yours. 
Not the skies. 
These walls will be my anguish.
My heart begins to thrash.  
"The night will be your rapport,"
Only my thoughts can save me now.
We begin to rapture in unison.
Air agitates around us, enclosing
the world we knew, to nothing. 
"One more step into the unknown,"
He doesn't see my tortured soul. 
No one ever did. 
The escaping sunlight illuminates our skin,
clouds begin to whisper. 
Night comes creeping in.
He takes my hand, my thoughts slip away
and then he thinks of me. 
"Ready,"
A part of me is.
"Just one breath,"
Then we fall. 
My lungs betrayed me.
One small step and then 
we fell. 
If only these wings could fly... 
Somehow they do.
My fingertips dance with the spirit of freedom.
My hair ignites the sky. 
"Wings aren't meant for flying," He spoke, above the heavens.
I wonder why, in a moment of fierce freedom, 
why he cares to speak. 
"They're meant for seeing,"
They always were. 

(k.b.)